Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Potugese Feijoada

I've never been to Lisbon or anywhere near Portugal. But I did get to taste a sample of Portugese cuisine while in Timor Leste. My friend D says Portugese cuisine is the best in the world. Wow, was I intrigued. Ok, I definitely had to try it.

Well, it came earlier than expected as I accidentally stumbled upon a place that serves affordable Portugese dishes. It was so far from my hotel, The Discovery Inn, that I had to walk approximately ten steps outside my hotel's main door. Hahaha. The food at the hotel was already getting boring and I needed a change. So there I was next door. Talk about saving on taxi fare.


There weren't many people so I chose a table by the glass window. Surprised to see a menu that wasn't quite familiar, the server suggested I try the special for the day, if I were hungry. Hungry??? I am always hungry. As long as it had rice I'd be a happy camper.  She said the feijoada (pronounced as fey-jwah-duh) was a complete meal. Let's go for it.

When the dish arrived, it looked similar to our fabada served at home. The taste was similar but I think this is a souped-up version of the fabada. It had different meats-pork, beef plus the morcillos and ham- or was it bacon. Let's not forget the white beans, folks. The sauce was thick and tasty. It seemed that it was stewed for quite a while because the meats were tender and the dish was so flavorful. I was so satisfied with the dish that I finished every morsel of rice and 3/4 of the feijoada. That's a lot for me if you know how I eat.

Ahhh, this was a perfect way to end the day. Me and the feijoada. Happy to have been introduced to you. It was definitely not disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment