Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fish Curry, My Version

Admittedly, our family eats too much meat. We love our steak, pork sinigang, beef nilaga and puchero, fried pork chop and the list goes on and on. So I am trying to make a conscious effort to include more fish dishes in our menu.

I decided to try my hand in cooking fish curry. It seemed like a winning recipe as I mulled over how to prepare this. Fish, coconut milk, curry and spices - ahh, I could sense a winner here.  Note that I am not a good cook. Ok, maybe I'm a bad one since I've failed a lot in the cooking department.  But you can't fault me for trying which frustrates my brother a bit because he and my dad are ultimately the guinea pigs.

However this time around, I was able to come up with a yummy yet fairly quick meal.  My brother liked it so much that he brought some to his workplace. Because I am not one of those stingy cooks who don't like sharing recipes or cooking techniques, here's the recipe. Not that I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, hahaha. Hoping this will help another trying-hard-wanna-be cook out there like me.





Fish Curry by Moi

Two large dory fish fillets, sliced in 2 inch pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper
about 4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 onion, sliced
1 inch ginger, sliced
1 small red bell pepper
2 tbsps. curry powder
1/2 to 1 tbsp. chili powder(depending on how spicy you want it)
1/2 cup coconut cream
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup tomato sauce

1.  Saute the garlic, ginger and onions in 2 tbsps. oil.  Add the curry and chili powder.
2.  Add the seasoned fish slices and cook for a minute or two.
3.  Add the coconut milk, tomato sauce and bell pepper. Do not stir. Allow to simmer.
4.  After five minutes, add the coconut cream. This cooks quickly so check the fish if it's done and it's ready to be served.

It may at first sound odd to have tomato sauce but it does give the dish another layer of flavor and cuts through the coconut milk.

I do hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment